The Scottish Executive Boiler Scrappage Scheme is now OPEN for new applications. Please contact us for further information.
The Green Energy Advisory Services Scrappage Scheme is closed to new applications, but please keep checking here for further updates. Please contact us for further information.
Scotland has one of the most ambitious CO2 emission reduction targets in the world. The installation of an efficient heating system is one effective way of reducing your household energy bills and CO2 emissions. There are currently an estimated 250,000 homes in Scotland that have boilers of the least efficient type (efficiency of less than 70%).
To help address this, the Scottish Government and the Green Energy Advisory Services has announced funding for the boiler scrappage scheme for owner/occupiers in Scotland. Scrappage schemes work by helping to meet the cost of replacing inefficient equipment with new more efficient alternatives.
This Boiler Scrappage Scheme builds upon its earlier success from its launch in May 2010. It will offer owner/occupiers £200 towards the cost of upgrading inefficient boilers with an Energy Saving Trust Recommended (ESTR) boiler in their property.
Please obtain a written/verbal quotation from us before making your application.
What are the benefits?
Upgrading your boiler can result in:
- Lower running costs
- Reduced CO2 emissions
- Lower energy bills
For example, this means that by upgrading an existing boiler with a SAP2005 efficiency of less than 70% to an Energy Saving Trust Recommended one, your household heating bill should drop by about a quarter – a saving on average of £190 a year, or £235 for a 3 bed semi-detached house.
What are the eligibility criteria?
- You must be replacing a working boiler with a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70% as detailed on www.sedbuk.com. If you wish to clarify if a system is eligible, please contact the Green Energy Advisory Services Hotline on 0845 095 0734.
- However, if you are aged over 60 and have a boiler that is not working but has a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70%, you may still apply.
- You must be installing an Energy Saving Trust Recommended (ESTR) boiler or a Microgeneration Certification Scheme accredited microgeneration technology. (Please note, an A-rated boiler does not automatically qualify as ESTR)
- The property where the boiler is to be installed must be a domestic address in Scotland.
- You must be the owner/occupier of the residential property (in Scotland) in which the new boiler will be installed.
- You must have received a written/verbal quotation for your boiler replacement before making an application.
- You must make an application and receive your voucher before having the boiler replaced.
- Work on the installation must not have commenced before the date on which the rebate voucher is received.
- You have not received, nor will you be receiving, an Energy Saving Scotland home renewables grant or home loan offer, and/or any CERT funding towards the installation of your new boiler.
- The installer must be Gas Safe registered and an accredited installer for the Green Energy Advisory Services (for gas installation) and should be a member of a recognised industry body such as CLE, SNIPEF or OFTEC. Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.
How do I apply?
Once you have checked you are eligible you should:
- Obtain a quote for your boiler replacement.
- Download the application form here and return the completed voucher here or by telephone on 0845 095 0734.
- Once you have received your voucher you can arrange for the installation of your new boiler.
- Pay for the boiler and installation work up-front.
- Claim back the £200 by sending the completed voucher and invoice back to us by the voucher expiry date.
On the application form you will be asked for the following:
- Your address
- Some details of your existing boiler
- The date you received your quote for the new boiler installation
- The Installation company name
- Installer accreditation number (e.g. gas safe number)
- Manufacturer and make of replacement boiler.
Please note, if you proceed with your installation before you receive your voucher, you will invalidate your claim and you will no longer be eligible for the £200 rebate.
- Get a written/verbal quotation from an installer for your new boiler
- Apply for a voucher download the application form here
- Alternatively apply for a voucher by telephone on 0845 095 0734.
Private Sector Landlords Boiler Scrappage Scheme
The Green Energy Advisory Services has also made funding available for a boiler scrappage scheme for private sector landlords in Scotland.